Churches and cathedrals of Yoshkar-Ola
From the architectural and cultural point of view religious institutions can be of great interest when you want to get to know the city. Yoshkar-Ola is the city of many religions: Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Islam and even paganism. Currently, orthodox churches and cathedrals are in majority in Yoshkar-Ola. Here you can find the list of the most worthy ones.
The Patriarchal Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ
The monument of architecture of the XVIII century. The Patriarchal Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ was built in 1759 in Tsarevokokshaisk during the reign of the Empress Elizabeth. That time the Cathedral was considered as the main temple of the city. The Cathedral was distinguished for its interior furnishings and a rich library. In the main iconostasis there were 35 icons, some of them - in gilded robes. Inside the Cathedral there was a particularly revered image of the Savior – an old icon that was brought by archers from Moscow. Every year on August 1st the icon procession was arranged along the streets. At the bank of the Malaya Kokshaga River the prayer service was perfomed. Unfortunately, nowadays the icon is not preserved.
Church of the Ascension
The Church of the Ascension was built in 1756 by the merchant Pchelin and it was originally of the three altars. Upstairs there was a temple with the main altar blessed in honor of the Ascension, as well as the Chapel blessed in the name of Our Lady of Kazan. On the ground floor there was a temple in honor of the Exaltation of the Cross with the chapels consecrated in the name of St. Gregory the Theologian, Basil the Great and John Chrysostom.
The Cathedral of the Annunciation
On the Virgin Mary square a unique building of the Cathedral of the Annunciation is under construction. It will be the main Orthodox church in the republic. The church is the Cathedral due to its dimensions. It is the tallest stone building in Yoshkar-Ola. 4 million bricks were used to construct it. The floor area for church services is 1300 square meters. The Cathedral is easily able to accommodate up to 1500 churchmen.
The church of the Holy Trinity
The church of the Holy Trinity was built in 1736 at the expense of Stephan Vishnyakov, Tsarevokokshaisk merchant, and Alexei Osokin, peasant of Zhukovo village. Historically, it can be attributed to the very first stone church which was built in Tsarevokokshaisk. The Trinity Church was markedly different from other structures for its architecture. The interior of the temple struck with its luxurious furnishings. Therein a carved in wood image of the Savior in a crown of thorns sitting in prison was kept. The icon was brought to the city in 1695 by archers.
The Church of the Holy Mother’s Assumption
A consecration of the church took place on August 28, 2006. A special feature of the temple is the mosaic icons made by the graduates of the Moscow St. Tikhon's Orthodox University.